Study possibilities for refugees

Which resident status do I need for studying?

There are no legal specifications that would exclude recognized asylum seekers from beginning their studies. The same applies to a person whose asylum procedure has not yet been completed or who has got an uncertain residential status (Duldungsstatus).

You do not need a work permit (Beschäftigungserlaubnis) to start studying. However, the residential status is important for financial support. Please contact Studentenwerk for further information.

Are there any prerequisites?

The admission to study programmes at HTWK Leipzig is restricted. Meaning that only so many applicants can be accepted as there are available spots in the respective study programme. Spots are allotted according to grade point average. Please check here for information on the selection process (content in German)

You are not entitled to be admitted to a study programme by applying and passing the Feststellungsprüfung or DSH alone. The admission process is necessary as well.

University Entrance Qualification

To be eligible for admission to a Bachelor’s degree programme as an international first-year student at HTWK Leipzig (or any other German university for that matter), you need to have the equivalent of a German Hochschulzugangsberechtigung. This long word refers to the school-leaving certificate that is recognised as a higher education entrance qualification. In Germany, this certificate is commonly known as the Abitur. You can apply at HTWK Leipzig if you have a university entrance qualification that is accepted by the Free State of Saxony, such as the general matriculation standard (allgemeine Hochschulreife) or an advanced technical college certificate (Fachhochschullreife).

Applicants with a foreign university entrance qualification that cannot be accepted, have to take the qualification assessment examination in Germany, called "Prüfung zur Feststellung der Eignung ausländischer Studienbewerber für die Aufnahme eines Studiums an Hochschulen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland" (Feststellungsprüfung FSP). Preparations for the exam take place at Studienkolleg and require a placement test. The placement test is held in January and August at Studienkolleg of Hochschule Zittau/Görlitz.

Language Skills

International applicants will have to give proof of their German skills prior to starting their studies. Usually, the test "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH)" needs to be passed at least at level DSH-2. You are exempt from this test if you hand in one of the following certificates:

  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) (level 4)
  • Goethe certificate C2
  • "telc Zertifikat C1 Hochschule"

Residential Status

For the application, it does not matter if you have a temporary resident permit, an uncertain status (Duldung), refugee status or are a recognized asylum seeker.

Selection Process and Deadlines

Please be aware of all the deadlines: application deadline, registration deadline, deadline for the payment of the semester fee. If you miss one of these deadlines, you will be excluded from the selection process.

You can find an overview of all deadlines on our German website.

Aptitude Test

There is an aptitude test for the Architecture Bachelor study programme. Please, check with our advice team if there are any tests for the study programme of your choice.

You can find more information on the test and the available dates on our German website.

How can I prepare for my studies?

For your application with uni-assist e.V. you only need a German level of B1. You can apply with a B1-level and acquire the necessary language skills later at Studienkolleg. Do not wait with your application until you have reached the C1-level.

Please be aware that not all language certificates are accepted at HTWK Leipzig. There can also be an unnecessary waiting period if you are missing the certain certificates at the application deadline. It’s best to contact Student Services early on.

Further possibilities to prepare for your studies are listed below:

Guest Students

There is time left until you begin your studies or you would like to get a first impression of your preferred study programme? You cannot decide which study programme to choose? You can apply for the free guest student programme.

This programme will help you to get to know the technical terms that the language course didn’t cover. It will be of great help once you start your studies.

Consultation for Study Programmes

If you have questions concerning the content of your preferred study programme, please seek out the consultation for study programmes. You can find the contact person on the website of the respective study programmes.

Studifit (content in German) will also support you when you begin your studies.

If you would like to speak with students of your preferred study programme, please contact the student representatives of your faculty (content in German).

Open learning space & Tutoring

„mitStudieren“, a project funded by DAAD, will also help you prepare for your studies. The project provides support with learning German and with your application for studies.

Every Wednesday, 3:15 – 6:00 PM
Universitätsstraße, Neues Seminargebäude (NSG), Room S017 or S015

After your application and admission to studies at HTWK Leipzig, we offer the following services:


Applicants with a foreign university entrance qualification can prepare for their studies at Studienkolleg. Depending on the study programme of your choice, you will either take a WW or TI course (content in German) that will prepare you for your studies. You will acquire the DSH certificate as well.

If you have direct university access, you can attend the DSH course at Studienkolleg. The course usually runs for one semester (six months). You can apply for the course via uni-assist e.V.. An application at Studienkolleg directly is not possible.

Please be aware that Studienkolleg of HTWK Leipzig is situated at Hochschule Zittau/Görlitz.


If you have direct university access, you can attend the free pre-courses (content in German) to prepare for your studies. Please be aware that pre-coursers and courses at Studienkolleg are not the same. You can only attend the pre-courses with a direct university access or after you have finished Studienkolleg.

Introduction Week

If you have been admitted to a study programme, please attend the introduction week (content in German). Introduction week will enable you to begin your studies quickly and easily. Many problems concerning the beginning of your studies won’t even be an issue for you then.

Mentoring Programme

You can register for the student mentoring programme and an enrolled HTWK-student will support you when you start your studies.

Where can I get advice?

Advice for Refugees at HTWK Leipzig

Juliane Keil, M.A. – Advisor for Refugees
Eichendorffstr. 2 - 04277 Leipzig, E111
Email: juliane.keil (at) or contact form (in German)
Telephone: +49 341 3076-6189

Office Hours 1 Oct - 31 Jan | 1 Apr – 30 Jun
Mon: 13:00 - 15:00 | Tue: 13:00 - 17:00 | Wed: closed |
Thu: 09:30 - 11:30 and 13:00 - 15:00 | Fri: 9:00 - 11:00

Office Hours 1 Feb – 31 Mar | 1 Jul – 30 Sep
Tue: 13:00 - 17:00 | Thu: 09:30 - 11:30

Psychosocial Advisor at Studentenwerk

Advice for students regarding the following issues

  • Financing your studies
  • Studying with residence permit
  • Studying with children
  • Test anxiety
  • Contact problems
  • Dealing with stress
  • and more

Social Advice

You can make an appointment via email: kuppardt (at)
Telephone: +49 341 9718-950

Psychosocial Advice

Email: studierendenberatung (at)
Telephone: +49 341 9718-848

BaföG Advice

Amt für Ausbildungsförderung

Goethestraße 6 – 04109 Leipzig
Telephone: +49 341 9659-5
Email: bafoegamt (at)

Please make an appointment beforehand to find out which documents you need to bring. Contact BAföG-Amt early on: Even before you begin your studies you can contact BAföG-Amt with a Vorabentscheid to check of you are BAföG eligible. The Vorabentscheid document is valid for one year and is useful after your immatriculation to process your BAföG application faster. It is recommended to apply for BAföG six months before the start of your studies.

Office Hours at BAföG-Amt
Tue: 13:00 -17:00 | Thu: 09:00 -11:00

Office Hours BAföG-Service at SSZ
Mon: 12:00 - 15:00 | Tue: 9:00 - 11:30 | Wed: 12:00 - 15:00 |
Thu: 13:00 - 16:00 | Fri: 9:00 - 12:00

Educational Advice Garantiefonds

This federal programme (content in German) provides support for immigrated graduates and prospective students regarding possible study programmes or possible grant options. In Leipzig, JMD Naomi e.V. Leipzig (content in German) is offering advice for this programme.

Please make an appointment to get advice.

Refugee Law Clinic

If you have questions concerning your residential status, you can contact the Refugee Law Clinic for free and anonymous advice.

Advice for Refugees
Kochstraße 132 - 04277 Leipzig
(c/o Gesellschaft für Völkverständigung)

Advice Hours
Fri: 27 Oct / 3 Nov / 17 Nov / 1 Dec / 15 Dec
14:00 - 16:00, starting December 15:00 - 17:00

More offers

Student Mentoring Programme

Once you start your studies at HTWK Leipzig, you will probably have many questions regarding the university and how to organize your schedule. The mentoring programme provides support.

The programme is addressed to international students who are new to HTWK Leipzig. It will make the first weeks easier, help you to join the student community and overcome cultural obstacles. Students from HTWK Leipzig (mentors) accompany international students (mentees) in their first year of studies and help with their arrival and the organization of their studies.

Your advantages:

  • first contacts at HTWK Leipzig
  • contact to students before the semester begins
  • support with the organization of your studies
  • linguistic support

If you are interested in taking part in the programme, please contact Juliane Keil and fill out this form to register (content in German).

Language Learning Space

How do I write an email to a professor? How do I understand this text? Is the introduction for my paper alright? Why do I use “es” in this context? Did I summarize this report correctly? What does „gelten“ mean?

Language Learning Space can help you with these questions:
Wednesday, starting at 13:45
GEUTEBRÜCK-building G335

Participation is non-binding and free of charge.


There is a special shelf in the university libary (content in German) to provide support during your first weeks at HTWK Leipzig. On this shelf you can find literature to help you study German, organize your studies and your daily life, literature on German history and German novels.

If you can’t find the shelf by yourself just ask at the reception desk in the library and the staff will assist you.