HTWK Orchestra Leipzig
Who we are
We are the orchestra of the University of Applied Sciences Leipzig (HTWK Orchestra): Our musicians are mainly students of all universities, but being a student is not necessary to be able to join us.
The first rehearsal took place in 2013 in a small group. Since then we were joined by many keen musicians so that we grew to be a big symphonic orchestra. Manuel Durão was conducting the orchestra almost since the beginning. His successor Matthew Lynch was the first conductor who was officially voted by the orchestra. Since the summer term 2019 he is conduction the orchestra.
Each semester represents a rehearsal period. This period is completed by two concerts at the end of each semester. Besides all the hard work we put into our rehearsals we make sure we don't miss our fun: For our so called "rehearsal weekend" we spent 3 days in a hostel a bit outside of Leipzig, to give every piece its final touch and even after a normal rehearsal you'll find people not tired enough to go home.
For the immatriculation of the new students our orchestra is musically contributing to the festivities at the Gewandhaus zu Leipzig.
Rehearsals take place during the semester: every Monday from 7.15 to 10 pm. We rehearse on the campus and in the auditorium of the Gerda-Taro-Gymnasium.
Orchestra statute passed! (July 2018)
We now have our own timpani (May 2018)
Our orchestra can now call a set of four drums their own.
Rehearsals take place during the semester each Monday from 7.15 to 22 pm. Tutti rehearsal take place in the auditorium of the Gerda-Taro-Schule and smaller rehearsals are located in Lipsius building on the campus.
You play an instrument and have some orchestra experience? You understand German and speak a little German? You're looking for an orchestra, that works hard in rehearsals but is also having fun together afterwards?
Then come and join us! At the beginning of each semester we organise auditions for new members to join. The next one will be at the beginning of the summer term 2020. Sign up via email, and about a week before, we'll tell you your specific time and room.
Conductor and head of musical decisions
Our orchestra is conducted by the conductor and flutist Matthew Lynch. He was educated at University of Oxford and the Hochschule für Musik „Carl Maria Weber“ Dresden. Having founded an orchestra in his hometown Leicester at the age of 16, he has conducted and played with a variety of notable orchestras.
During the semester and at the rehearsal weekend, rehearsals for each section are held by students of the HMT Leipzig or professional musicians of the Gewandhausorchester.
Committee & organisation
Our committee is elected at the end of each semester for the following semester. We have persons responsible for coordination, finances, members, concerts, tutors & rehearsals and public relations.
Our committee organises concerts, rehearsals, auditions and is responsible for our webpage and Facebook page. You can contact each of us via Email.
The orchestra's repertoire
winter semester 2019/20:
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Ouverture to Idomeneo, K.366
- Bedřich Smetana: Vltava (Moldau) from Má Vlast (Mein Vaterland), JB 1:112/2
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 3 „Rheinische“, op. 97
october 2019: Immatriculation festivities of the HTWK at the Gewandhaus Leipzig
- John Williams: Music from "Star Wars"
summer semester 2019:
- Nils Gade: "Efterklange af Ossian" Overture Op.1
- Jean Sibelius: Finlandia Op. 26
- Edvard Grieg: Symphonic Dances Op. 64
winter semester 2018/19:
- Johann Sebastian Bach (A. Webern Bearb.): Ricercar a 6 aus "Das musikalische Opfer" BWV 1079
- Antonín Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 "From the new world" Op. 95
summer semester 2018: concert at the St. Lukaskirche and concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig
- Georg Philipp Telemann: Ouvertüre in D-Dur TWV 55 D18
- Georges Bizet: L'Arlésienne Suite No. 1 Op.23bis
- Georges Bizet: L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2
- Filmmusik aus "James Bond"
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Marsch aus der Ouvertüre zu Athalia (Kriegsmarsch der Priester) Op. 74
winter semester 2017/18: Concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig and concert at the Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche, Connewitz
- Ludwig von Beethoven: „Egmont Ouvertüre“ Op. 84
- Niels Gade: Sinfonie Nr. 8
- Lars-Erik Larsson: „En Vintersaga“
- Jean Sibelius: „Valse triste”
october 2017: Immatriculation festivities at Gewandhaus Leipzig
summer semester 2017: Concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig and concert with the HTWK-Choir at the Nathanaelkirche
- Alexander Borodin: Sinfonie Nr. 3 in a-Moll, „Die Unvollendete“
- Alexander Borodin: „Eine Steppenskizze aus Mittelasien“
- Georg Friedrich Händel: Ouvertüre und Marsch aus dem „Gelegenheitsoratorium“ (arr.: Manuel Durão)
- Alexander Glasunow: „Marche sur un thème russe“, Op. 76
- Calvin Cluster (Arr.): „Star Trek Through the Years”
winter semester 2016/17: Concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig, Solist: Sofia Pinto (Sopran)
- Franz Schubert: Sinfonie Nr. 8, „Die Unvollendete“
- Giacomo Puccini: Arie „Tu che di gel sei cinta “ (Turandot)
- Guiseppe Verdi: Arie „Canzone del Salice“ (Otello)
October 2016: Immatriculation festivities at Gewandhaus Leipzig
summer semester 2016: Concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig and concert with the HTWK-Choir at the Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche, Connewitz
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Konzert-Ouvertüre Nr. 2, „Die Hebriden“ Op. 26
- Georg Philipp Telemann: Ouvertüre in D-Dur
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Marsch in D-Dur
- Howard Shore: Filmmusik aus „Der Herr der Ringe“
- Bruno Coulais: Filmmusik aus „Die Kinder des Monsieur Mathieu“
winter semester 2015/16: Concert at the Oberlichtsaal of the Stadtbibliothek Leipzig, Solist: Carolina Alves (Trumpet)
- Joseph Haydn: Sinfonie Nr. 104, „Londoner Sinfonie“
- Joseph Haydn: Trompetenkonzert in Es-Dur
- Heitor Villa-Lobos: „Bachiana Brasiliera No. 4“ (arr.: Filipe Pinto)
- Luiz Costa: „Campanários (Kirchturm)“ (arr.: Filipe Pinto)
summer semester 2015: Konzert in der Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche Leipzig
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 1 in C-Dur, Op. 21
- Fernando Lopes-Graça: Glosa IX (da „Moda de segada“, de Vinhais) (arr.: Filipe Pinto)
- Joao de Sousa Carvalho: „L'Amore Industrioso“
summer 2015: Concert at KUK-Festival (HTWK) along with the singer Max von Wegen
winter semester 2014/15: Concert at the HTWK Leipzig
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Sinfonie Nr. 33
- Gabriel Fauré: „Pavane“